How To Hang A Canvas Print (Step-by-Step Guide)
Posted on 28 February 2019
Knowing how to hang a canvas print can contribute to a professionally-designed look in your home. Many art aficionados choose to display canvas prints without frames directly on the wall without a traditional frame or protective glass. If you have a blank wall in your house that is in major need of a facelift, canvas prints are a great option to make the space come alive. If you’re still not convinced if canvas prints are the way to go, check out our Complete Guide to Canvas Prints. There are five common ways for hanging a canvas print. To learn how to mount a canvas print, keep reading!
How to hang a canvas print with nails
What you’ll need
- 2 - 4 nails
#1 Hold the canvas up against the wall in the spot where you wish to display it. Mark the desired placement of the canvas print with a pencil.
#2 Account for the lip of the wooden structure, which is typically 1 - 2 inches. Measuring out 1 - 2 inches inward from the pencil markings, hammer in 1 or 2 nails into the wall.
#3 Place the canvas on the nails. If necessary, use sticky tack to hold the canvas in place and prevent it from hanging unevenly.
How to hang a canvas print without nails
What you’ll need
#1 Picture Hanging Strips
- Remove any hanging hardware already on your canvas print. Picture hanging strips need flat surfaces to work properly.
- Picture hanging strips require a clean surface, so wipe down your picture and the wall you are hanging the canvas on. Allow the surfaces to dry before applying the strips.
- Apply the strips. Press the two different sides together. One at a time, remove the liner and press the adhesive to the back of the canvas print. Press for 30 seconds. Repeat until you have another strips along the edges of your canvas print (at least 4 for each side, depending on how large the canvas is).
#2 Adhesive Hooks
- Clean your wall.
- Prepare the adhesive by removing the liner from the adhesive strip and affix it to the hook or the nail.
- Affix the adhesive hook or nail to the wall. First, remove the liner from the back of the adhesive that’s attached to your hook or nail. Firmly press the hook or nail to the wall for 30 seconds.
- Wait an hour for the adhesive to dry. When the hour is up, hang your canvas prints on the hooks!
#3 Press-In Hooks
- Choose the right kind of hooks. There are several different brands that make hooks that are designed to be inserted into drywall without nails, hammers or any other tools. Some examples are: Hercules Hooks, Super Hooks, Monkey Hooks and Gorilla Hooks. Each of these are made with different materials and can hold different weights. According to the manufacturers: a Hercules Hook can hold as much as 150 pounds (68 kg), a Super Hook can hold up to 80 pounds (36.28 kg), a Monkey Hook can hold up to 35 pounds (15.87 kg) and a Gorilla Hook can hold as much as 50 pounds (22.67 kg).
- Insert the hooks by pushing the long, curved end of the hook through the drywall. Once you’ve pushed it most of the way in, position it so that the hook on the outside will be facing upwards.
- Hang your canvas print!
#4 Tape or Reusable Adhesive
- Select your adhesive: double-sided tape, sticky tack or reusable adhesives all work.
- Prepare the wall and the canvas print: adhesives work best on clean surfaces, so wipe down the wall with a clean cloth and isopropyl alcohol. While waiting for the wall to dry, clean the backside of your canvas print.
- Place the adhesive to the corners of your picture and hang!